Friday, September 3, 2010

wayback machine: washington's crossing, 2003

IMG_1340
The Delaware, at Washington's Crossing


Every year at Christmas, a group of hardy, dedicated and very brave souls re-enact George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River on Dec. 25, 1776. This is an event I have always wanted to attend but never could, as I am not in the New York/New Jersey area at Christmastime. I see they do a dress-rehearsal the 2nd weekend of December, but I have a sneaking suspicion I may have to miss it due to exams. But someday, SOMEDAY, I will get to see it.

The pictures below are from events held around New Years in 2003, wherein re-enactors performed a variety of colonial-era tasks, including cooking demonstrations and military drills. Also, there was hot cider.

IMG_1349


There tend to be a variety of types of military costumes on display.

IMG_1347


And also non-military costumes:

IMG_1348


I didn't take too many pictures that day, probably because I was cold. But if I manage to get back there this year I'll get some more.

More about the history of the site and the crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment